Hola from Spain
The arrival went well - Patrick (guy I am to live with) was at the designated spot in his 20 year old VW bus.
We went straight away to the flat - and OMG what have I done - this is aweful.
Not only is Patrick a little quirky but the place smells and is dirty. I immediately began looking for another option and e-mailed my friend Maria Jose. Must wait ...
I took a 2 hour nap to help me get clearer sight back. Did not work ...
Patrick assisted me in ordering a SIM card for my phone, it should be here on Monday or Tuesday.
After, Patrick and I talk as we leave for the discount market some distance from the flat. I tried to be diplomatic and polite that i am not comfortable due to the condition of the flat. We agreed I would pay for one week and then see how things are going.
I'll try.
After the market things began to look brighter as I spoke with Maria Jose who shared that she has been speaking with friends and that they will help to find me a more suitable place to live. She also said that she and Carlos would be right over to pick me up. Yea!
All is now well in the world - reconnecting with a long time friend and her partner Carlos we head off to the City Centre and find the School's location where I will attend class.
Maria is speaking with Juan about finding me a place and she hands me the phone.
Juan is the Director of the Madrid Orchestra - being well connected and famous - is is bound to know someone with a room for rent.
Juan and I agree to meet for lunch on Saturday to look at my options. When he & Maria are again speaking he agrees to meet us for dinner. The four of us meet up and go to the Bristol Bar for a couple drinks - while there Antonio joins us - he translates musical productions and assists in the production. Well connected as well he asks if I would consider living with an artist - umm hello, I have and yes I will again.
Antonio asks if everyone is hungry and convinces us to try an Italian restaurant around the corner. Now by this time I am feeling quite comfortable listening to everyone speak in Spanish and understanding some of it - although I keep thinking in English about unrelated stuff - focus.
At the restaurant - Amy joins us, from LA and in Madrid to work on her masters, very beautiful woman. She has been here for 3 weeks and had a similar situation to mine - oh good it is not just me...
The place she had found was also dirty and the roommate weird, Amy is now living with Antonio while she looks for something more suitable.
Dinner was top drawer ... Wine, appetizer and entre followed by dessert and complementary shots of the most tasty liquior.
Maria Jose & Carlos drop Antonio & Amy off - with whom I agree to go out with on Saturday. Then I am dropped off at 1:30 am -
The day was great! Feeling good about this and moving on ...
It is now Saturday morning, I have showered and ready to go get my luggage at Fed-Ex, but Patrick is not up. I need to leave shortly to meet Juan - guess the bags will have to wait.
More to follow
Beto
No comments:
Post a Comment